Noun(1) any admirable quality or attribute(2) the quality of being deserving (e.g., deserving assistance
Verb(1) be worthy or deserving
(1) Civil servants should be recruited on merit alone.(2) Some senior judges fear that an emphasis on appointing more women and ethnic minority judges would mean that appointments would no longer be based solely on merit .(3) the results have been encouraging enough to merit further investigation(4) For me, he is a good player and deserves the European player of the year on merit .(5) Thus, the fight to improve lousy schools so that poor, bright children stand a better chance of getting to good universities on merit is utterly undermined.(6) In turn she sues the government for a position she deserved on merit .(7) Whether it's a serious enough offense to merit professional sanctions I'll leave to others to decide.(8) However, the shortage and hence high price of particular skills can often be significant enough to merit the attention of a strategic assessment.(9) A place where the system works in your favour and, by excluding others, creates for you a place where your work will be judged on merit alone.(10) It makes no sense in a world that bases reward on merit alone, but our God operates on a different level.(11) composers of outstanding merit(12) Prospective trust board members will be selected on merit related to the skills they possess and the skills necessary to manage this reserve.(13) A direct result of this tragedy was the Pendleton Act in 1883, which sought to make entry into the service dependent on merit rather than on reward.(14) The selectors deserve credit for picking fourteen players on merit .(15) It is hard to believe that all had shown equivalent levels of merit to deserve such elevation.(16) Trouble is, we couldn't think of many other people who deserved awards on merit .
(1) merit increase :: зиёд шоистаи
(2) certificate of merit :: сертификати шоистаи
(3) merit system :: низоми шоистаи
(4) make merit :: кунад шоистаи
(5) figure of merit :: рақам дар шоистаи
(6) artistic merit :: шоистаи бадеӣ
1. excellence ::
2. good point ::
4. virtue ::
5. deserve ::
1. deficiency ::
2. demerit ::
merit, merited, meriting, merits
Word Example from TV Shows
The best way to learn proper English is to read news report, and watch news on TV. Watching TV shows is a great way to learn casual English, slang words, understand culture reference and humor. If you have already watched these shows then you may recall the words used in the following dialogs.
All-all three of these
proposals have MERIT.
The Big Bang Theory Season 12, Episode 7
there is a lot of MERIT to both theories.
The Big Bang Theory Season 2, Episode 2
Your argument is lacking
in all scientific MERIT.
The Big Bang Theory Season 2, Episode 11
Just a small hearing to determine
whether the charges against Loras have MERIT,
Game of Thrones Season 5, Episode 6
Sheldon, it's foolish to be angry
that Bert's work has MERIT.
The Big Bang Theory Season 10, Episode 9
English to Tajik Dictionary: merit
Meaning and definitions of merit, translation in Tajik language for merit with similar and opposite words. Also find spoken pronunciation of merit in Tajik and in English language.
Tags for the entry "merit"
What merit means in Tajik, merit meaning in Tajik, merit definition, examples and pronunciation of merit in Tajik language.